Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Resist Terror Manipulation


The Bible repeatedly tells us “Don’t fear.” What this verb phrase means is “Don’t turn into wax,” “Don’t remain passively in fear.”

Let’s not let our fears overwhelm us.  It’s common to ignore, deny, or repress our fears.  We try to cope. I found myself doing laundry when the last bomb went off, and realized this is a common coping mechanism I do when I hear gunfire and bombs go off (a common experience in our years in Afghanistan).

While coping mechanisms help, they do not cure the fear inside.

What causes the greatest fear in you? Dread, terror, deep seated fear – these emotions impact our risk perception.  We can experience fear emotionally, spiritually, and physically. The evil doers purposefully want to cause great fear.  

Large scale terror attacks is an effective tactic of the enemy.  But recognize this is both a spiritual and physical tactic….Evil doers exploit our brain psychology through what are called “dread risks.”  These are “low probability events in which people are suddenly killed, triggering an unconscious principle: “If many people die at one point in time, react with fear and avoid that situation.”

Let us resist terror manipulation, especially in the face of our personal calling and the opportunities to “push forward” the boundaries of His Rule. Courage is when we do the righteous thing, even when we are afraid. Take a deep breath, and let your fears drive you to God, minute by minute. This is how faith and emotional/spiritual resiliency grows.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.