Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Thursday, February 8, 2018

1st World Problems

In order to help ourselves and our kids maintain a global perspective and remember what true wealth and true poverty really are, we point out "1st World problems" when we come across them.

"First World problem is a slang term used to refer to issues in wealthy (First World) nations that are complained about only because of the absence of more pressing concerns." First World Problems are frustrations and complaints that are experienced by privileged individuals in wealthy countries. It is typically used as a tongue-in-cheek comedic device to make light of trivial inconveniences.
(Note: when you research this topic, too many (N. American) people are still using the term "3rd world," which sounds condescending. Instead use the phrase"Developing world."  China and Europe (per capita) are way ahead of N. Americans when it comes to technology, internet, and cell phone useage.)

Here's an example of 1st versus Developing world problems: 



Here are some examples that make us laugh, roll our eyes, and shake our head in embarrassment about a nation that has no idea how much disposable money they have.

1. Toaster


2. "Throw-a-way" Cashmere Robe - Too much stuff!
I was at the 2nd Hand store and I found a brand new $400 cashmere bathrobe for $8.  Who would pay $400!!!!  Yep, I bought it (for $8) and enjoy it every day.


3. Almond Milk



4.Wifi on Cruise
5. Book Batteries

6. GPS

7. Coffee

"My 7 dollar starbucks latte came with ONE espresso shot instead of the TWO I asked for!"

More at this link.

In the meantime, 
  • Of the annual top 50 countries where Christians are limited, oppressed, persecuted, and face martyrdom, almost all of the countries in the Central Asia, Cauceses, Middle East, and North Africa are listed. 
  • Each year for the past few years there have been upwards of 10,000 terrorist attacks and millions upon tens of millions of displaced peoples. 
  • Yet the Central Asia and Middle East region has almost 1 billion Muslims who have not heard the Gospel
  • There are approximately 600 unreached people groups in this region
  • Of the world’s 440,000 missionaries, only about 5000 go to this region.
  • Of the $11.5 Billion spent globally on Missions, only $40M (less than ½%) goes to the CA/ME/NA region (99% of our mission spending goes to people who have access to the gospel).
  • Finally, for every 1M Muslims, there is 1 person sharing the gospel. 

We go about our lives every day, not remembering that tens of THOUSANDS of people go to their deaths, eternally separated from God.  

How often I forget this and think my problems are big. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.