Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

F.A.T.L.

It's common or Christian leaders to use the acronymn "F.A.T." for disciples - it stands for:

Faithful
Available
Teachable.

But I add the "L."  This stands for loyalty.

It means: Loyalty to God and loyalty to me, especially if they call themselves friends. A person I am discipling or an intimate friend - from both I expect loyalty.

Christ had the same expectations of His friends, but He knew it could not be done without the Holy Spirit.  He extended grace and forgiveness to Peter and all His disciples who betrayed Him in His most crucial hour. But He states, "He who denies me before others I will deny before my Father" Matthew 10:33.

This past weekend I heard yet another story of Christians crucifying Christians, again on a grand organizational and personal scale, while at the same time preaching publicly to love others.

I was sick to my stomach.

Loyalty.
Duty.
Honor.

Those who make mistakes may need to be confronted, but not the way Christians so often do it.  So often the Church opens itself to lawsuits, because of slander and firing without due process.

So often Christians friends betray each other - my teenage children have yet to understand how cruel Christians can be.  How often we have to forgive. 70x7, which mathematically means infinity in this Hebraic idiom.

If you have been betrayed by a Christian friend, family member, or missions organization, recognize that you can turn to the loving arms of your Heavenly Father, who weeps with you.

Fight to hear not the cruel words ringing in your ears, but His...

...still...small...voice...speaking...to...you.

On the days that you are weak, fight.
On the days you are strong, fight.
On the days you are lukewarm and apathetic, fight.

Fight to hear His voice and see His presence in your life always.

Keep a "fuzzy file" of kind words, emails, that loving, kind, and loyal friends send to you. Read and re-read these words.

Loyal friends are ones who gently confront while assuming the best of you, and confront you with grace AND truth, who confront quickly, gently, kindly, privately.  This increases trust and demonstrates loyalty.

To have such a friend or group of friends is like having diamonds - special, valuable, beautiful, worth keeping, worth pursuing.

F.A.T.L. - both to our Father in Heaven and to me.

Thank you to true friends from different countries and times of my life... Neal, Emma, Lenneke, Martin, Joyce, Brian, Debbie, Jean, MaryEllen, the Coconut Club, Louie, Tiffany, Lisa, Tim S., David and Mary, Graham and Pat.

I am blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.