Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Monday, October 17, 2011

I Promise to Hate You

ODE TO A NARCISSIST

The Crazy Cycle begins again
Once the Applause has died.
The doors have shut, and he is alone
With her.

Relentless arguments, unpredictable moods, outbursts of anger,
Condemnation, twisting of words, of truth, Threats
Inflicts pain worse than bruises.
She can’t leave,
Insecure, Unsure, Agony, Guilt, Fear
Depression, Anger.
So much anger.

Accusations, slander, gossip
He destroys her word-by-word
His tongue like knives
Isolating her from help.
Power over another,
He-over-Her
Sick-not-love, Un-Christlike,
Physical, emotional, spiritual paralysis.

Silent, the Church stares
At the faces of women masked
Hiding the pain and slow descent into hell-on-earth,
Abused by their Pastor-Husbands,
Tortured by Christian-Husbands,
Un-defended Women,
...and does nothing.

Guilt and Gladness twist together
At his death.
She loved him.
But,
She is finally free at last
To Breathe
To Move
To Be.

Check out the book, "I promise to hate, despise, and abuse you until death do us part."  You can find it at Amazon.com or at www.bookendpublishers.com

Wikipedia Description of Narcissistic Behavior
To the extent that people are pathologically narcissistic, they can be controlling, blaming, self-absorbed, intolerant of others’ views, unaware of others' needs and of the effects of their behavior on others, and insistent that others see them as they wish to be seen.
People who are overly narcissistic commonly feel rejected, humiliated and threatened when criticized. To protect themselves from these dangers, they often react with disdain, rage, and/or defiance to any slight criticism, real or imagined.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.