Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Better-Than-Gold-Faith - Part 1

There are 4 things James teaches us to help us become stress sturdy, to endure (stand firm) and persevere (move forward in the battle) and lead the way to better-than-gold faith. I will testify to His faithfulness in my life these past two years.

The First Step 

James 1:2-4 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

 1. Our perspective:  Count it all joy – in the good times, and in the bad.

When people look at you, what kind of conclusion do they draw about God? Do they see joy in your life?  Do they see a demonstration of your awareness of the grace all around you? We are the articulation of the Gospel for many, in how we live, how we love, most importantly, how we deal with our failures and shortcomings. Life is messy, so how do we respond when things get difficult or when we mess up?

We need to be deliberate about choosing it.  “Count” is in the imperative form – an expression of command – not a reality of circumstances, but of possibility and volition; it is possible to really choose to do this.

In Hellenistic Greek, there is no passiveness to the verb’s meaning when it is in this form. It has to do with the internal attitude of the heart and mind that causes the trials and circumstances of life to affect us adversely or beneficially.

About 5 years ago, I was convicted of NOT having joy – a friend of mine talked about how easy she found it to be filled with joy in Afghanistan.  HOW could she find “joy” EASY in this culture? I immediately felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit, and heard Paul's words whispered in my heart, "In every circumstance I know how to abase and I know how to abound."

Guilty.

I wasn't applying Scripture to my life. (My husband much later confirmed it - he said I had been turning a bit into a complaining wife.)

Joy comes when we experience His grace; God’s grace is all around us. We let joy, complete joy, joy in every circumstance lead the way, and then the circumstance will be easier to bear.

“My brethren" – James is not on a higher pedestal – he is writing as a fellow traveler to those who have also committed their very lives to the Master Jesus

What is happening in your life right now that causes you to struggle with having perspective? We cannot have joy when we are complaining or being negative.

Sometimes we need help to have joy.  Help may come through any activity which helps us to withdraw for a little while, gain some perspective on our situation and have a bit of a breather to re-order our emotions, mind, and priorities.

This may include a listening, non-judgmental friend who doesn’t gossip, writing in our journal, spending time worshiping or watching worship videos.  Even taking a few minutes to have a good cup of tea or cappuccino gives us the space we need to remember God is still in control, He is still on His throne, He will some day soon restore all creation to rightful order and bring justice.

Once we choose to focus our minds on His sacrifice for us and where we are in His kingdom, we are able to put our current problems in it's proper position in God's view of us, and we cannot help but find joy even in the midst of horribly trying situations.

It's not a magic tonic. 

It's a discipline of the mind to choose to fix our eyes on Jesus and keep them there. 

Once we find joy in all situations, we persevere.

Go to Better Than Gold Faith Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.