Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Better Than Gold Faith, Part 4/4

James 1:2-4 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”


Steadfastness =>LET IT Have its Full effect, Perfect, (mature) Complete => We look like Him so much we get mistaken for Jesus. Have you ever been mistaken for Jesus?

Have you ever sifted flour? In Afghanistan, it is imperative to sift flour. I made so much bread, I would often purchase flour in 7 kilo bags, (14 lbs), and then sift it into my flour bucket. My flour sifter would be covered with goat hair, mouse turds, and pebbles, but the flour in my bucket was "clean, perfect, ready for us."

He sifts us to make us clean and perfect so He can better use us. But we know we will never be completely perfect compared to God until He transforms when we move into our eternal bodies.

James makes it clear that in this life, we ARE to be mature, not lacking in anything, as we move through our lives. Immaturity is not an option for the true follower of Christ.
The Greek : “work” or “full effect” means that we are not passive – we are bearing the weight of steadfastness, or patience.  We are to be like a steamboat – powered from within, the power of Christ, which helps us to sail calmly and steadily through stormy waters.

If we are like a rowboat, having to move ourselves, or like the sailboat, tossed about by the wind, we cannot move as calmly. We tire out, burnout, and sink. Our American work ethic cannot save us. Legalism cannot save us. Him powering us from within is what perfects us, matures us, and helps us remain steadfast.

We make a choice to keep on enduring, steadfastly. Pain may come, and we will be sifted because we are loved by God and followers of Him. I can testify to His faithfulness in my life, and testify to the importance of each member of God's family to persevere, to keep going, keep following, never give up. When you don’t feel like standing, keep standing and you will see gold faith developing.  

If you haven’t had trials yet, get ready for them. Those of you nearing the end of your journey, don't give up! Continue enduring to the end. Those of you who are younger, “God gave us the permission to try life, without the pressure to get it right.” Work past failure.   If you are in the middle of a trial, stand! Get friends to help you stand. If you are through trials and up on the plain in the sunshine, enjoying the Rose of Sharon, enjoy your time and look for those in the middle of trials you may able to encourage.

There were some Iranian missionaries who came down into Afghanistan some years ago, and they told the story of their mother who Jesus revealed Himself to in person. He appeared to her and spent a half-hour talking with her, answering all her fears about following Him. She chose to follow in His footsteps, and she reported, "He had the kindest, gentlest eyes of any man I've ever met."  As we look through eyes of faith, we too can look deeply into His eyes and see the utter kindness, gentleness, and love He has for us.

When we are tried in the crucible of life, as the poem "Gold Faith" says, our faith becomes purer than gold, reflecting His glory.  As a fellow warrior and sister-in-Christ, I want to encourage you to commit today to endure to the end.

Let us reconsecrate ourselves to a war-time lifestyle,  with the view that what we have - our wealth, time, expertise, health, all as tools for holy use for His glory, so that the Great Commission will be fulfilled in our generation. Our generation will be known as the one that finished the task, not the generation that squandered opportunities and obscene wealth.

Let us persevere with joy, the race set out before us – each one’s race is different. Let us not compare our races.

So what is the end result?

...better-than-gold faith we can give our children, women known to have a death-defying passion for God that goes way beyond what this world can offer or take.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.