Living Behind the Veil

I'm often asked what I wear in Afghanistan and what it's like to wear a veil. It's freedom. Freedom to have a bad hair day, freedom to arrange my chadar to conceal the curve of my breasts and backside, freedom to not be an expatriate for a little while. It means freedom to hide even on the street from the Afghan men's eyes which seem to strip me naked.
When I relax my shoulders and walk less purposefully, less confidently, my eyes downcast and covered by sunglasses, I pass for an Afghan woman. I hear the men whisper in Dari, "Is she a foreigner or local woman?" I chuckle but am silent. On the street, I'm also a free target....freely exposed to groping, sexual innuendos whispered to me as a man bicycles by, free to have stones thrown at me, freely seen as no one's wife, daughter, sister, mother, friend, or boss. I step inside my gate, and remove my chapan and chadar. Now I'm someone's boss, motherhood returns to me as little steps run to greet me, and I receive a kiss from my adoring husband. Now I'm free to his loving and gentle eyes which know and enjoy my curves, free to once again be under the protective umbrella of being a wife, mother, friend, colleague, boss, niece, sister, daughter, woman.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Theology of Failure

Perhaps aging develops a more pragmatic attitude towards failure, or perhaps simple the sheer guts to persevere in overseas ministry for more than 23 years and experience deep failure and mountain top successes have given me the ability to embrace failure a little easier.

I'd like to hope that my life exemplifies the old adage "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" (and wiser).

I was startled by this idea of a God-sanctioned Theology Failure in a teaching by Kenneth Bailey.  He stated that Jesus gave his disciples a "theology of failure" when he sent them out in Mark 6:6-13.

Here is what Kenneth Bailey has to say,
He essentially tells them: If you are welcomed into any home - well and good - fulfill your ministry while based in that place and don't move about looking for more comfortable lodgings. If they do not receive you, shake off the dust "under the feet." This refers to the dust stirred up by your feet that permeates your clothing. Shaking it off is a symbolic gesture that means "I am finished with you and am leaving. Furthermore, as I leave, I take nothing from this house, not even its dust" (Acts 13:51, 18:6). This dramatic gesture can help the apostles leave behind them any lingering sense of failure. It frees them to go on (like Paul and his band) to the next home or village "filled with joy and the Holy Spirit" (Acts 13:52). Having tried and failed, they must move on. It is astounding to see Jesus on this very first outreach beyond the range of his voice offering advice on how to deal with failure. This extraordinary exit strategy is in harmony with his entry strategy - to go on need, not in power and conquering or with aid to ensure a welcome. 
What an astonishing and equipping idea - to equip the newest generation of global workers with the idea of a theology of failure. What a freeing idea! 

You mean it's not all up to me? 

I can be sent into a high-risk, abrasive and war-torn culture where I don't know the language very well, where the Mullah's preach against foreigners on a weekly basis, where stones are thrown at me, where the people (my neighbors) don't like me simply because I'm American, (or Western, or educated, or a Christian) and I can accept that some will accept me (and Christ) and some will despise me (and Christ)? 

How much better would our folks thrive on the field if they embraced this teaching of Jesus! Would that His Body affirms His people for faithfulness not apparent success driven by numbers.

He does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment related to this post or ask additional questions. All comments require moderation. I do not post sales or non-related links.